Browse the net, and it becomes clear pretty quickly that somebody out there is giving lots of companies dubious marketing advice. Based on the evidence, here’s my take on the Top 10 Worst Marketing Tips for 2009.
1. Let’s add 2.0 to that noun.
2. Let’s add 3.0 to that noun.
3. If we use a cat in your video, it’s sure to go viral.
4. Don’t worry about running it through legal review — this is the social web.
5. We need to differentiate your message. Let’s turn all those keywords into verbs by putting an “ize” at the end.
6. It’s a mistake to strive for excellence. You should aim for good enough.
7. Every blog post should be short and pithy.
8. Create good content.
9. Let’s place your messages where customers don’t expect to see them.
10. Be brilliant.
Remember, friends don’t let friends market under the influence of misguided and useless advice.